Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Presentation

I have never had to prepare a presentation and present such important information to people in positions of authority. I have done speeches for teachers and in front of my classmates because it was a requirement but never anything like this. So my question is, what is the best approach to a presentation? I have been told that telling a joke will break the ice, but in a situation where someone is advocating an issue, will it be unprofessional? Do you think it would have a negative impact on the way that the audience will look at you? Have any of you ever been in a situation such as this? If so, how did you begin? Also, is it best to memorize what you are going to say so that you sound less robotic or should you have the flash cards to ensure you won't miss any important points; or both?

2 comments:

  1. I too am in your shoes. I have done presentations, but more so informative never something that needs much attention to create or make a change. The best approach to a presentation is staying positive. Always stay positive letting yourself know as well as telling yourself that you can do it and it is going to make a change in someone’s life. Another thing keep in mind is go into your presentation confident, prepared, and have a positive attitude so that the environment you are going to create will be much easier for you. The environment is all going to be based on the way you perform or present. Try and open up with a question statement. I do not think opening up with a joke is a good idea because as you stated this is more of a cause and effect case rather than informative speech. You want your audience to see that you are serious and confident in what you are doing; not letting them think that this is a “joke” to you.

    I also do not think you should memorize what you are going to say because you are going to be so focused on memorizing everything and not more on how to get their attention and them on your side. One thing that I do and really helps me is I create an outline of the steps I will be taking. Underneath each step I write what I will be talking about in short sentences or wording and help me to stir up the presentation. It’s good to practice what you say and how you say it in front of others but I truly do not think you should memorize it. I also think you should try the outline instead of note cards because an outline is more organized and step by step. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    I want to thank you for your support in this class. I liked your advice about not memorizing your presentation and I feel the same way. Also what a great idea about making an outline, I wish I would have done that.
    Well, good luck in your next step in life. I hope for nothing but great things to come your way! Thank you again for your support in this tough class. ~Laura Widenhoefer

    ReplyDelete